The Truchis family has old aristocratic origin, which dates back to the 15th century when they were settled in the North of Italy. Samuel de Truchis emigrated to Burgundy in 1601 when Henry IV exchanged with the Duke of Savoy the Marquisette of Saluzzo for region of Bresse in Burgundy.
As such, the family history is intimately linked to the history of Burgundy where the members of the family occupied various positions in the parliament of Burgundy, in the army, and for some within the clergy. In 1647, Pierre de Truchis, son of Samuel, was appointed Count by Louis XIV.
The first family chateau was built in Lays (10km from Varennes) in the 17th century. Jean-François, Count of Truchis and grand-son of Pierre, acquired the fiefdom of Varennes in the early 18th century, where there was already a chateau. This is still the central part of the present day chateau.
Jean-François left his younger brother the chateau de Lays. A third chateau was built in 1761 by Guillaume, the son of Jean-François, and is also located close to Varennes. This chateau is an extraordinary example of classical 18th century architecture in the style of the private town houses of Dijon.
It is highly unusual to find a group of three chateaux belonging to the same family located within a radius of 10km.